Learning Comment:
I found this task extremely helpful, as it allowed me to recap on important media theorists such as Propp, Todorov and Strauss, and remember just how important their theories are. They enabled me to pick out important features in the music videos I studied. I realised that most videos do as such, have an equilibrium just as Todorov said, and characters which would be in films, like Propp said.
I also learned that according to the genre in which they are, can influence what sort of story they tell within their music video. For example, Fatboy Slim, being known as an Electronic/Dance DJ, his videos consist of actors dancing, which suits to the genre the song is very well. On the other hand, we have music from The Verve, who are seen as more of a Rock band, create more realistic videos, showing serious storylines, such as the troubles in which a single person sometimes has to go through in everyday life.
From doing this task, I know what to include in my music video, whichever genre I choose to do. If I chose to do a song which comes from a Pop genre, from this task I no know that it needs to include a storyline which is more upbeat, and one which a viewer of that age could relate too. I see this in Taylor Swift's 'You Belong With Me' music video, as the struggles the main actress goes through is mostly connected/related to by a person of an age 14-21.
No comments:
Post a Comment