


Learning Comment:
From doing this task I have learnt some artists deliberately go against traditional gender stereotypes by using their fame to do so. For example, Beyoncé does this in all of her videos, and portrays women very differently than someone like Kanye West did in 2005. Kanye West's 'Gold Digger' is the perfect example of gender stereotypes. It shows women displayed in a 'sexual' light and shows them as only objects. Somewhere inbetween would be someone like Fetty Wap, where he shows women as important figures, but still sees sex as a big factor.
I have also learnt about important media theorists, who believe that gender and culture stereotypes are commonly shown in music videos, like Shuker and Vernallis.
I can now apply this knowledge I have learnt from doing this task into when making my own music video. Depending on what sort of genre I do, I now know what sort of stereotypes to include and whether they are necessary or not. Songs from the Pop genre seem to challenge these more, whereas RnB and Rap do not.
No comments:
Post a Comment